A letter to the God who loves me


Dear God,


It's been a while I spoke with you in writing. I cannot even remember ever penning a piece to you in writing.


The image above speaks volume and could connote many things to different people, but I would just highlight two, which are of importance to me:



  • The love symbol is not demonstrative of my love towards You, but of Your love towards me. I cannot love You, if I did not first receive love from You. Just like 1 John 4:19 says, "We love Him because He first loved us." You did not only love me first, but You also demonstrated your love towards me while I was still a sinner (Romans 5:8).
  • The red colour on the love symbol depicts the shed blood of Jesus which has secured redemption and forgiveness of sins for me (Ephesians 1:3) and continuously cleanses me from all sin (1 John 1:7). Thank You for the blood, it makes all the difference.
As I reflect on my life, I know it's been Your mercy and grace all through. I am extremely appreciative of all You saw me through in the last 14 months.

Everyone begins a new year, with hopes of making great leaps and bounds in all he or she does - that was my case in 2016.

By January 4, 2016, I started a new job after just four months of relocating to Lagos from Abuja; You were the architect of this.

I remember the morning of February 13, 2016, when I left Lagos street, Ebute Metta on a prayer walk. Less than 45 minutes into the walk, at about 6:20am, I was attacked by some hoodlums, I was stabbed severally in my left eye, left ear, left hand and even on my chest but I survived because You sent angels to be on guard.

A few months later, while getting the car ready for church on a Sunday, I was attacked at gunpoint by four men. Again You showed up. I only lost material possessions, the car was not taken and my life was spared.

How about the time, when You literally drove the wheels for me because my vision was blurry as I was yet to replace my glasses following the robbery. How I got home that day driving in the rain after attending The Memo With Elgee could have only been because of Your love.

I am certain of Your omniscience, and I am grateful for the people You brought my way. 

Just five days after resuming another job, I received the news, on July 9, 2016, that my dad was dead! What! I was in shock. Tears welled up in my eyes as I climbed the stairs to Lanre Ogunkunle's room confused. 

All I had on my mind was to drive home to see my mother and find out that she was joking. Thank you Father that Lanre decided to help drive me home that day. You have been merciful unto me, by giving me friends that have sense. Lanre did not only drive me home but he practically spent the whole day driving my people to any and everywhere they had to go as plans to bury my dad unfolded.

Back to how I got the job. Thank you Holy Ghost for giving me the revelation to write my application in an interview format. It was a weird way to write an application, but I am glad I listened. As my former colleague, Simbiat Bakare looked over the application, she just shook her head and said, "Anyone who sees this (the application), will definitely be interested in seeing the applicant."

Or is it when you made sure that my friend, Sikemi Arowoshola was the head of HR at the firm I was applying. You are too much baba!

I thank you for Damilola Ogunkoya who housed me for six months.

I am also grateful for the opportunity to turn up at Adetutu Aboderin and Demola Adeogun's wedding. Thank You for the sons delivered to Adetutu and Wole late last year.

Thank You for Pastor Poju Oyemade, and every other leader at Covenant Christian Centre, my life has been changed.

I am appreciative of how You and have been helping my mom live with the absence of her husband.

You have been good.

Many times I have made mistakes, but You have not cast me off. Under the shadow of Your wings and in the presence of Your throne room I have obtained mercy and found grace to help (Psalm 91, Hebrews 4:16).

Words will fail me to thank You for Atinuke, who has been a pillar of strength and support from the first day we met on November 27, 2012.

Thank You for putting the counsel of the devil to nought over my life on January 25, 2017, when I was hit by a 911 trailer while travelling. Even though the car left the floor and hit the ground, I was unhurt.

You have been more than good to me. 

I am certain that all I have experienced is nothing compared to the great things You have in store for me.

I end this piece with the lyrics of Unstoppable Love by Jesus Culture

Try to stop your love and you would wage a war
Try to stop the very thing you gave your life for

You would come running you’d tear down every wall
All the while you're shouting my love you're worth it all

God you pursue me with power and glory
Unstoppable love that never ends

Your unrelenting with passion and mercy
Unstoppable love that never ends

You broke into the silence
And sang a song of hope

A melody resounding in the deep of my soul
You have come running you tore down every wall

All the while you're shouting my love you're worth it all

God you pursue me with power and glory
Unstoppable love that never ends

Your unrelenting with passion and mercy
Unstoppable love that never ends

Ohhhh

No sin
No shame
No past
No pain
Can separate me from your love

No height
No depth
No fear
No death
Can separate me from your love

No sin
No shame
No past
No pain
Can separate me from your love

No height
No depth
No fear
No death
Can separate me from your love

Ohhhh Your Love

God you pursue me with power and glory
Unstoppable love that never ends

Your unrelenting with passion and mercy
Unstoppable love that never ends

There is no end to your love
No end to your love
It goes on forever

Love that calls my name
Love that knows my name
Love that knows my heart

Yeah.

No sin
No shame
No past
No pain
Can separate me from your love

No height
No depth
No fear
No death
Can separate me from your love

No sin
No shame
No past
No pain
Can separate me from your love

No height
No depth
No fear
No death
Can separate me from your love

Oh, Jesus
What you did on the cross
It was final, it was done, it was done

Yes Lord.

Your love was poured out
Your love was poured out
Nothing can separate us now

No sin
No shame
No past
No pain
Can separate me from your love

No height
No depth
No fear
No death
Can separate me from your love

No sin
No shame
No past
No pain
Can separate me from your love

No height
No depth
No fear
No death
Can separate me from your love

Yes.

Thank you Jesus
Oh thank you, thank you, Jesus,
Yes.

Oh my heart is overwhelmed

Thank you Jesus
Tell Him
Thank you Jesus
Oh thank you, thanks you, thank you, Jesus

Oh my heart is overflowing

With joy
With joy
With joy
With joy for you Jesus
For you Jesus
For you Jesus

Nothing can separate me
Nothing can separate me

From Your love
From Your love
From Your love
Freely given
Freely given

Freely poured out
Poured out
Poured out

Poured out
Poured out
Poured out
Poured out
Poured out
Poured out

Yeah.

What a love
What a love
What a love
Amazing love, amazing love
Yeah.

Amazing love, amazing love
Yeah.

Thank you Jesus
We thank you Jesus

Thank you Jesus
We thank you Jesus.

Yeah.

Comments